Thursday, July 08, 2010

'Homegirl' Kagan Snags Coveted Luther Campbell Endorsement

If Elena Kagan's confirmation to the Supreme Court weren't already a slam dunk, this key endorsement should surely seal the deal.
As Capital Hill ponders Elena Kagan's Supreme Court nomination, it may be swayed by a new supporter in her corner -- or not.

Luther Campbell, otherwise known as the obscene rapper Uncle Luke from 2 Live Crew, has given Kagan his full endorsement in a weekly column written for the Miami New Times.

Campbell, whose booty-shaking hip-hop song "Me So Horny" lit up dance floors in the '90s, found himself on the same side of a legal dispute with Kagan 20 years ago.

When 2 Live Crew released its incendiary 1989 album "Nasty as They Wanna Be," parent groups, local officials and federal courts all tried to have the album banned from stores for obscene content.

Kagan, who was then serving as an attorney with the firm Williams & Connolly, filed a brief on 2 Live Crew's behalf that maintained the album "does not physically excite anyone who hears it, much less arouse a shameful and morbid sexual response."

Possibly buoyed by the dance craze, Kagan also stated, "The music on 'Nasty' has undoubted artistic value."
A forever grateful Campbell sends his big ups and mad props.
"In other words, my homegirl Kagan was saying people could not be aroused by the lyrics," Campbell writes. "She did a great job fighting on 2 Live Crew's behalf, which lets you know that Kagan is not easily swayed by public opinion."
Here's a sampling of the lyrics to Me So Horny. Remember, Kagan argued this had undoubted artistic value.
Verse 1: [Brother Marquis]
Sittin' at home with my dick on hard
So I got the black book for a freak to call
Picked up the telephone, then dialed the 7 digits
Said, "Yo, this Marquis, baby! Are you down with it?"
I arrived at her house, knocked on the door
Not having no idea of what the night had in store
I'm like a dog in heat, a freak without warning
I have an appetite for sex, 'cause me so horny

Chorus

Verse 2: [Fresh Kid Ice]
Girls always ask me why I fuck so much
I say "What's wrong, baby doll, with a quick nut?"
'Cause you're the one, and you shouldn't be mad
I won't tell your mama if you don't tell your dad
I know he'll be disgusted when he sees your pussy busted
Won't your mama be so mad if she knew I got that ass?
I'm a freak in heat, a dog without warning
My appetite is sex, 'cause me so horny

Chorus

Verse 3: [Brother Marquis]
You can say I'm desperate, even call me perverted
But you say I'm a dog when I leave you fucked and deserted
I'll play with your heart just like it's a game
I'll be blowing your mind while you're blowing my brains
I'm just like that man they call Georgie Puddin' Pie
I fuck all the girls and I make 'em cry
I'm like a dog in heat, a freak without warning
I have an appetite for sex, 'cause me so horny.
Here's the video that Kagan claims does not physically excite anyone. Ah yes, it was all intended for comedic value or something. I guess a content warning is pointless if you've already read the lyrics.

No comments: