Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Ha Ha Ha! Moonbat HuffPost College Professor Who Bragged of Tearing Down McCain Sign Forced to Resign

D'oh!
A visiting St. Olaf instructor who wrote an online essay about stealing John McCain lawn signs -- "like a ninja under the cover of cloudy Minnesota night" -- has resigned, the Northfield college announced.

Philip Busse, a journalist and political activist from Portland, Ore. who taught a media studies course, also will be charged with misdemeanor theft. He could face up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine, according to the Rice County Sheriff's Office.

After learning of Busse's essay, "Confessions of a Lawn Sign Stealer," St. Olaf denounced his actions, saying they "were in direct conflict with the college's values and mission."

On Monday, it issued a statement that "Mr. Busse has tendered his resignation and is no longer affiliated with St. Olaf College."

In Busse's essay, published on the political Huffington Post website last week, Busse used data, news articles and first-hand accounts to explore the impact of political lawn-sign theft, as well as its legal and ethical implications. He wrote:

"Sure, I understand that stealing a sign will not change anyone's mind, and, most likely, will only embolden McCain supporters' disdain for liberals. Even so, yanking out the signs and running like a scared rabbit back to my idling car was one of the single most exhilarating and empowering political acts that I have ever done."

Later, he writes: "Mature? No. Illegal? Yes. Satisfying? Definitely."
Here's his HuffPost piece.
I reached the sign and, for the first time, recognized its sublime size. It stood as tall as me. I grabbed one of the steel rods holding the signs; but unlike the smaller signs, it did not yield. I wrapped my hands tighter around the stake as if I were a Little Leaguer stepping to bat for the first time, and I squatted, thrusting my legs. The post resisted for a strained, frozen moment and then released. I considered running away right then, leaving the sign crippled but still there. But my Midwest morals insisted that I finish the job. I grabbed the other post and yanked, dragging the sign behind me as I ran. I drove away with the hatchback yawning wide open, and the sign hanging out over the back bumper.

I drive by the house on a near daily basis. For a week afterwards, I had that particular thrill which must draw criminals back to the scene of the crime. The empty lawn -- its silence -- seemed like a small victory that I had scored for my side.

But now, a month later, the homeowners have again decorated their front yard with a more modest wicker sign that announces, "Family for McCain." I was surprisingly happy to see the new sign. In many ways, it felt like it was directed straight at me, the invisible hand that had removed and silenced their first sign.

I had said my piece, and they responded with theirs.
And now you're out of a job, you idiot.

Update: Minnesota resident Ed Morrissey has some thoughts.

No comments: