Monday, December 11, 2006

'Tis The Season To Be Offended

Every year, it's the same nonsense. Miserable people who cannot handle religious symbols or calling Christmas Christmas, doing everything they can to ruin any good will and cheer.

The latest earthshaking event takes place in Chappaqua, the place the freeloading Clintons allegedly call home.

Holiday Flag-gate Hits Affluent Chappaqua

The flags read "welcome." But not everyone shares that sentiment about the flags, now hanging in the hamlet of Chappaqua.

"I most certainly was warned I'd receive backlash," said business owner Tara Caverzasi. "I did not believe it. I was a little naïve."

Caverzasi said she was just trying to spread a little seasonal cheer, and draw shoppers to Chappaqua businesses, including her jewelry store, Desires by Mikolay.

So she spent $3,000 of her own money to buy about 50 flags from an online vendor. Each features a blue background with white snowflakes and the word "welcome" running vertically down one side.

The Town of New Castle approved the flags, and town workers installed them on utility poles throughout downtown in early December.

"I was told to keep in mind that we didn't want anything too religious," said Caverzasi, who spent several weeks looking at flags before settling on a design. "We wanted something that was neutral, and snowflakes and the word 'welcome' in my mind was neutral."

But where she sees neutrality, others see favoritism towards the Jewish faith.

Oh, the horror.

3 comments:

Sornie said...

WHy does every last thing devolve into being either too religious or too secular? I am still clinging to my twenties with a death grip but I remember having a CHRISTMAS party in school and celebrating HALLOWEEN and making decorations for EASTER. Those things are forgotten memories in the America we live in and this is coming from a guy who classifies himself as liberal...

Anonymous said...

Since when are snowflakes anything other than symbols of winter? Now I think I really have heard it all...

Anonymous said...

The issue really is this..The tree in town is a holiday tree..the refuse calendar even said "holiday tree pickup" until people complained..it is all about balance and the town has not been balanced..I am a resident who would welcome the flags if they just would call our beautiful tree a Christmas tree..that is the real issue everyone has missed