Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Surrounded By Water


Last year Georgia went through a drought cycle and we were treated everyday to footage of the shrinking water level of Lake Lanier, the primary source of water for the Atlanta and the center of intense legal battle with our neighboring states.

Well now we have made up that shortfall almost overnight. In my little corner of the world we have received at least 18" of rain in the last 48 hours, and while I am surrounded by water I have managed to come through in pretty good shape compared to the neighborhoods around me.

Click through this slideshow to get an idea of devastation. So far 6 people have lost their lives including a a 2 year boy who was ripped from his mothers arms when they were caught in a raging torrent and a 3 year old girl.

Today once again I am fortunate enough to have a job that lets me work from home, since there is no way once I leave my little island that I could get anywhere anyway. The interstates have been shut down in large sections around the Atlanta area and the secondary roads are just plain dangerous with water levels still rising. The rain right now has slacked off and may give us a brief respite but there is more headed our way.

For up to the minute coverage folks that have Twitter, and who doesn't nowadays, follow #atlflood to get information on shelters, emergency services, and other information as well as traffic and road alerts and pictures.

Here is another good collection of photos showing the extent of the flooding.

No comments: