Monday, June 07, 2010

'After I Became Governor, I Gave Up the Blind Act'

He also seemingly gave up using his brain after he became governor by default. Endorsing a corrupt hack like Charles Rangel sure doesn't make it appear he's thinking clearly.
It was a small step for Charlie Rangel's political future - but a giant leap for Gov. Paterson.

Rangel was the man of honor as he kicked off his 21st congressional campaign Sunday at Washington Heights' Boricua College, but it was Paterson who stole the show.

The crowd gasped as the legally blind governor bounded from his front-row seat - and leaped onto a stage 2 feet off the ground.

After clearing the hurdle, the governor grinned slyly and cracked a joke.

"After I became governor, I gave up the blind act," he said to wild cheers and applause.

Paterson later told reporters that he hadn't rehearsed the jump but was inspired to perform for one of his Harlem political mentors.

"There is no height I wouldn't go to support Congressman Rangel," he said. "I thought I needed more of a demonstrative way of showing it."

Rangel, who turns 80 next week, went for a less acrobatic entrance but defiantly used his campaign launch to slam his critics, the press - and anyone who's tried to push him from politics.

"They can fire their best shot but they just can't walk over success," he told the crowd of nearly 100 supporters that included a who's who of Manhattan's political elite.

Under fire for ethics violations including inappropriate Caribbean junkets, the congressional lion relinquished the chairmanship of the powerful House Ways and Means committee in March.

The move prompted many to suspect he'd quietly retire, but Rangel insists he's holding his ground.

"I stepped aside so that I would not be a target for the Republicans," he said. "And after we whup them like they're going to be whupped in November, then I don't think that [President] Obama, [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi and Charlie Rangel is going to be a big enough target for anybody."
I'll have some of what he's drinking.

No comments: