Sunday, May 11, 2008

'Look, I Don't Know Anything About Politics'


Huh, what did you say?

We first noticed the lovely Miss Gemma Garrett the other day, and now five days into her fledgling political career, she's still making news.

I wonder why?
If it's true that a week is a long time in politics, then Gemma Garrett can happily lay claim to a lengthy political career. It has, after all, spanned all of five days.

During that heady time – which began when her political ambition was awoken (literally) with a late-night telephone call – her manifesto has been hastily scribbled, her political party formed and her candidacy secured with the requisite ten local nominations.

Last Tuesday Gemma became a candidate for Crewe and Nantwich. It was official – party animal had become party political animal.

The 26-year-old current Miss Great Britain is standing under the banner of a newly created party, Beauties For Britain.

Gemma, runner-up in last year's Miss GB competition, bizarrely took the title earlier this month when this year's competition was cancelled by organiser Robert de Keyser.

He was preoccupied by a row with girlfriend and company director Ashly Rae over a five-figure sum she had spent on private dental care.

"Politics," Gemma explained from behind enormous pink-tinted sunglasses, "is quite boring at the moment. It's a bit serious and a bit dowdy.

"At first I just didn't see myself fitting in that easily . . . as you can imagine. I did actually laugh when it was suggested to me.

"But I'm a caring person and I wanted to put my name to something and help others. I do want to help others and make a difference."

Then she added: "Look, I don't know anything about politics.

"I have to admit that actually it wasn't my idea and when it was suggested to me that I stand, I thought it was insane at first."
She sounds like a natural.

No comments: