Saturday, July 05, 2008

Memo to Bill Schneider: Zip Him Up When You're Done

CNN hack Bill Schneider plants a wet one on The Messiah.

This is supposed to pass as journalism?
To his European fans, Obama is the symbol of American renewal. They know three things about him. That he is young. That he is African-American. And that he has a Muslim name.

Europeans live in countries with large, unassimilated Muslim minorities. The idea that someone with Obama's name and background could become President of the United States astonishes and impresses them. Europeans are thrilled by the idea that the United States can suddenly transform itself from a pariah in the world into an inspiration to the world.

Or can it? Everywhere I went, Europeans asked me if a black man can really be elected President of the United States. I told them many Americans ask me the same question.

My answer? It looks quite possible. We can't be certain. People may be lying to pollsters, and possibly to themselves. But so far, the evidence suggests that at least as many white Americans are voting for Obama because of his race as are voting against him because of his race.
I guess there will many a disappointed Obamaton in Europe come November. I may even have to tune in to CNN to see Bill Schneider weep.

No comments: