Friday, September 10, 2010

Only Two Of Original 'Windtalkers' Remain


Wednesday one of the remaining 3 original Windtalkers passed away, and with him goes another piece of American history.
Allen Dale June, one of the 29 original Navajo Code Talkers who confounded the Japanese during World War II by transmitting messages in their native language, has died. He was 91.

June died of natural causes Wednesday night at a veterans hospital in Prescott, his wife, Virginia, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

While there were several hundred of these native Americans who served as Windtalkers, Mr June was one of the original members who helped develop the code that was used to stymie the Japanese during WWII, and made popular by the movie starring Nicolas Cage.
In beauty may I walk.
All day long may I walk.
Through the returning seasons may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.
With dew about my feet may I walk.
With beauty may I walk.
With beauty before me, may I walk.
With beauty behind me, may I walk.
With beauty above me, may I walk.
With beauty below me, may I walk.
With beauty all around me, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
It is finished in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.

Navajo Blessingway

No comments: