Friday, February 02, 2007

Arkin Starts Backtracking

Well, sort of. He's still oozing smug sanctimony. John at Power Line suggests someone up the foodchain at the WaPo may have had a chat with him.
I knew when I used the word "mercenary" in my Tuesday column that I was being highly inflammatory.

NBC News ran a piece in which enlisted soldiers in Iraq expressed frustration about waning American support.

I intentionally chose to criticize the military and used the word to incite and call into question their presumption that the public had a duty to support them. The public has duties, but not to the American military.

So I committed blasphemy, and for this seeming lack of respect and appreciation for individuals in uniform, I have been roundly criticized and condemned.

Mercenary, of course, is an insult and pejorative, and it does not accurately describe the condition of the American soldier today. I sincerely apologize to anyone in the military who took my words literally.
I won't be taking this jerk literally any longer, since he's soon to be consigned to the dustbin. Still, how ridiculous is it to assume someone might take him literally? If he doesn't want to be taken literally, then just shut up and slither back under whatever rock you popped out from under.

No comments: