Friday, February 02, 2007

Super Bowl XLI


The big game is about 50 hours away and it's time for my prediction. All you need to know about the game and other ancillary details can be found here. I tend to tune out the hype and just wait on the game. Even come Sunday, I can't take the endless pregame bonanza, so I settle in a bit before kickoff.

Colts -7 over Bears: Indianapolis is peaking at the right time after being dismissed late in the year due to their enormous struggles against the run, allowing 173 YPG during the regular season. Well, that's down to 73 YPG during the playoffs against good rushing teams. So I've boiled it down to their ability to contain the Chicago ground game and force Rex Grossman to beat them, which I just don't see happening.

Sure, Grossman may be able to make a couple of plays early, and the Bears should probably be the beneficiaries of decent field position due to Indy's poor kick coverage and the electrifying Devin Hester. Still, after seeing Peyton Manning dissect New England for 32 second-half points in the AFC Championship, I think the Colts will be able to move the ball with relative ease. So how does Grossman keep up? He doesn't. The Bears hang around for awhile, probably around 13-10 at halftime. Then Manning will methodically lead the Colts to a few scores in the second half and chew up a lot of the clock. My darkhorse hunch as MVP is Colts TE Dallas Clark. Though if Manning has three or more TD passes, he'll be the choice. Colts pull away and win 33-20.

UPDATE: Hondo adds a unique perspective.

No comments: