Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Great News: Obama Nanny State Will Soon Be Dictating What You Eat


Hey, the King is allowed to go on his choreographed burger runs and date nights on the taxpayer dime shall not be criticized.

But if any of you want to do that? Well, get it done soon before the Obama Food Czars come calling.
Don’t be fooled by the presidential burger runs. Obama and Congress are moving across several fronts to give government a central role in making America healthier — raising expectations among public health experts of a new era of activism unlike any before.

Any health care reform plan that Obama signs is almost certain to call for nutrition counseling, obesity screenings and wellness programs at workplaces and community centers. He wants more time in the school day for physical fitness, more nutritious school lunches and more bike paths, walking paths and grocery stores in underserved areas.

The president is filling top posts at Health and Human Services with officials who, in their previous jobs, outlawed trans fats, banned public smoking or required restaurants to provide a calorie count with that slice of banana cream pie.
Goodbye freedom and choice. Hello, nanny-state nightmare.

This from a guy who still smokes. Oh, but we're supposed to pretend he doesn't.
Still, Obama needs to strike a balance between fashioning himself an advocate of clean living and coming across as a public scold or a killjoy. That’s precisely how some people view Jacobson’s group, which has denounced movie popcorn, Chinese food and other indulgences that many Americans — including Obama voters—enjoy. Clean living in balance is an appealing notion, but finger-wagging moralism may not play so well in some precincts of Middle America, where voters may decide government commentary on the size of their beer gut or that plate of nachos isn’t such a good idea.
These people are just begging for a revolt at the ballot box and the more you see of this it will be coming soon.

I'm sick and tired of the government telling me what to eat, when to eat it and what's good or bad for me. I can figure this out on my own. I take care of my body, am in excellent shape for my age and am 25 pounds less than when I graduated high school. While I enjoy some fatty foods and alcohol in moderation, I know what I can handle and pay attention to my doctors.

I don't need a government spending program to monitor my diet. Stay out of my business!

Update: Contrast this story on government intrusion on your diet and this fawning drivel about what Obama eats.
Pizza from St. Louis, pancakes from Pittsburgh. A juicy burger or a chili half-smoke in D.C., soul food in Chicago. Our new president eats something and the world wants to eat it, too. We've always cared about the words that emerge from a president's lips, but has there ever been such attention to the food that enters them?
Uh, well, no. But we've also never had a media with their lips firmly epoxied to someone's ass like this.

No comments: