Wednesday, September 02, 2009

'I Couldn't Leave Them On Their Own'

Whenever I read stories like this I am reminded of the war stories told by the now senior Senator from Massachusetts John Kerry when he was running for president and we were reminded on a daily basis about his 'heroic' service in Vietnam or Cambodia or wherever he alleged to be serving. I am reminded how he took his three Purple Hearts and beat feet back home after being overcome by exploding rice.

This young lady is a member of the British 2 Rifles, which some of you may recall were written about recently by Michael Yon, before they revoked his embed.
An Army medic remained at the scene of an ambush in Afghanistan to treat seven injured comrades despite being wounded with shrapnel herself, it was revealed today.

Lance Corporal Sally Clarke, of 2 Rifles, ignored the shards embedded in her back after the Taleban attack and stayed to help her team.
...
Lance Corporal Clarke, who has served for three years, tended each soldier, then helped to move them to the helicopter landing site to be flown to Camp Bastion. Despite being entitled to get on the flight, she refused, insisting she would not leave the patrol without a medic.

She added: “I didn’t feel like my injuries were bad enough to go back to the hospital, particularly as I was the only medic on the ground at the time.

“I couldn’t leave them on their own. I came out here to support the troops on the ground and give them medical care when they needed it the most.”
The Brits are taking a lot of casualties recently, just like the Americans; I can guarantee you not a day goes by when we couldn't read a story like this in our media, if only they would publish them. I have no doubt they are being written because I see them in little local newspapers everyday, but never on the national stage.

This weekend I am going to a NASCAR race here in Atlanta and the Grand Marshall for the Saturday night race is going to be the widow of recently slain National Guard NCO from Georgia, SFC John Beale. While the newspapers and networks like to remind us of the daily death toll, they continue, even after all this time, to ignore the people who are the real story.

No comments: