Monday, May 02, 2011

Usama Bin Laden is Dead But I Don't Feel Much Like Celebrating

Bin Laden is dead. That news flashed around the world last night, and while I did a fist pump in the air you won't find me in any of the crowds that spontaneously emerged and began celebrating.

No, to thousands of men and women in uniform today will be Monday. Indistinguishable from any other day of the week, save this day may be filled with even more danger then yesterday. They will put on their ballistic armor, do pre combat checks on their weapons, load up their ammo and food rations and once again go out and hunt down the Taliban and other terrorists.

Ayman Al-Zawahiri now moves to the top of the list. He has been the most influential leader of the Al-Queda group in the last couple of years. The battle continues.

I wish to congratulate the Navy SEALS who carried out the mission, which according to some reports was more then 6 months in the making. I hope this holds a special place in the heart of Marcus Luttrell, who's SEAL team was killed by the Taliban and their Al-Queda operatives and immortalized in his book Lone Survivor.

It wouldn't be long before both political parties decide on talking points and try to figure out how to use this to their advantage. In fact last night on Twitter a certain Fox News on air personality accused me of just that sort thing. I give him the benefit of the doubt since I wasn't sharing in the all the excitement of the announcement and was unwilling to give credit to any politician but rather insisted on giving credit to the men and women in uniform for the last 10 years who have sacrificed much to get this man. I will do a little gloating at his expense. I said the action occurred in Pakistan while he claimed it was Afghanistan. I was right before it was confirmed. I also gave him another hint about who carried out the action when I included him on a Tweet saying Marcus Luttrell and SEAL team Six now had their revenge long before that was revealed.

So I won't be celebrating much. Instead I will be remembering all those who sacrificed so much to get this man and do so with the realization that much more remains to be done. The world is still a deadly place. Only the faces have changed.

No comments: