Monday, June 06, 2011

NYC Businesses Cash in on Obama Name

I wonder what the name of the business will become when he's booted from office next year?
A growing number of business owners in the city's black neighborhoods are making a buck off President Obama by naming their shops after him.

The Daily News combed through city, state and commercial property records before checking out a dozen businesses sporting the commander in chief's surname.

"People like his name," said Muhammad Seraji, owner of Obama Beauty Supply on Utica Ave. in East Flatbush, the first stop on the presidential tour.

"I like his name," he said. "My family likes his name. He is better than all the Presidents. I am proud. I am black, too. I am from Bangladesh."

And he loves the First Lady.

Seraji sells wigs, weaves and hair-care products, and one of the most popular items is an $89.99 lace-front wig named after the First Lady.

"I've sold hundreds," Seraji said of the layered bob wig.

Seraji opened his business right after the 2008 election.

"If I was President Obama, I would start charging a gratuity," said construction worker Kirk Semith, 37, shopping at Obama Beauty Supply. "I would make money off of them trying to use my name."

Semith pointed out that there's an Obama Fried Chicken a few blocks away on Rutland Road. Harlem has an Obama Fried Chicken, too - and even an Obama Country Deli.

Months after the 2008 election, others opened Obama shops too. SM Obama Parking garage opened in the spring of 2009, and Obama Deli Grocery, on Clarkson Ave. in Brownsville, debuted last year.
Imagine how many businesses would be named after him if he actually had any accomplishments.

2 comments:

Just A Grunt said...

Notice the sign also promotes Halal food, the Muslim equivalent of Kosher.

FrankG said...

Seraji sells wigs, weaves and hair-care products, and one of the most popular items is an $89.99 lace-front wig named after the First Lady.

Hmmmm - I think we found the source of 65% of the spam at AOSHQ