Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Specter Given Rousing Welcome

Arlen Specter loses seniority on Senate committees

Despite assurances that he would be able to retain his seniority in the U.S. Senate, Arlen Specter has lost his status on five committees. In a voice vote last night, Specter was added to the Democratic side on Judiciary, Appropriations, Veterans Affairs, Aging and Environment and Public Works. He expands the Democrats' majority on those panels.

The resolution was read by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who had promised Specter a special deal in negotiating Specter's party switch last week. The Democrats were eager to woo Specter to their side, edging them closer to the 60-vote super majority needed to carry out many legislative items on President Barack Obama's agenda.

Specter even said he felt "entitled" to that seniority. But Senate Dems apparently did not agree, and the ramifications are considerable. Specter is losing major funding sources for staff members, now that his committee work will be far more limited.

Most notable for Pennsylvanians? Specter will no longer be the ranking member on the Appropriations Committee, which has enabled the 79-year-old senator to deliver billions in aid to the state over the past three decades. It has been Specter's goal to become the chairman of that powerful committee, but now everything regarding Specter's senior status will not be decided until after the 2010 election.

Specter is now, technically, junior to Sen. Bob Casey, a Democrat elected in 2006 and, formerly, the junior member of the Pennsylvania Senate delegation.

In Washington, Specter said he feels confident he will regain seniority after the 2010 election.

"Senator Reid assured me that I would keep my committee assignments and that I would have the same seniority as if I had been elected as a Democrat in 1980. It was understood that the issue of subcommittee chairmanships would not be decided until after the 2010 election,'' Specter said.

"Some members of the caucus have raised concerns about my seniority, so the caucus will vote on my seniority at the same time subcommittee chairmanships are confirmed after the 2010 election. I am confident my seniority will be maintained under the arrangement I worked out with Senator Reid. I am eager to continue my work with my colleagues on the various committees on which I serve and will continue to be a staunch and effective advocate for Pennsylvania's and the nation's priorities."
Po' Arlen, now he's a victim. The one thing he truly cherished - power - is gone because of choices he made. And the chances that the Democrat's Senate Caucus will grant Specter 30 years of seniority? Slim and none, as they can't stand the slimy self-serving bastard either.

Via PennLive.com

No comments: