Friday, October 23, 2009

I Admire Her Spunk


Let me go on the record and go ahead and get all the male chauvinists stuff out of the way. I am opposed to women being in front line combat units like the infantry. Let's not get into all the arguments for and against it, I just wanted to give reader my stance. This is actually a subject I have a little bit of knowledge of since I did 20+ years in the infantry in the US Army.

Still with that being said I do admire her spunk, but I do have to question her sanity.
"It's a little bit (frustrating), I can understand why females are not out there, but at the same time I want to get out there," Boertmann said.

Her next sentence though betrays her.
"They have a really tight bond and I think 'wow I wish I could be out there and try it'," she says of the grunts.

Being a grunt is not something you can try. It is a lifestyle. You don't play at being a grunt, the stakes are too high. Every armchair video war game player thinks he can go out there and be a grunt.

While I admire her sentiments and respect her wanting to get out there and mix it up, I hate to rain on her parade but she does need to stick to doing what she is trained to do for that that too serves a vital purpose.

So read the story for the perspective it gives on the warrior spirit embodied in our service members and try to restrain from getting into the whole should they or shouldn't they serve in combat argument.

No comments: