Tuesday, December 07, 2010

'Yeah, This Job is Alright'

This is the type of job I'd probably do for nothing. I suspect this reporter will have a permanent smile on his face.
Every now and then, you have a day at work which makes you think "yeah, this job is alright."

Today was one of those days for me. My boss said one of the best sentences he’s ever spoken: “Dan, I need you to go and get on a bed with 50 models.”

Well, being the dutiful employee of 3news.co.nz that I am, I rushed down to cover this meaningful cultural event.

It turned out to indeed be true, and not just a dream. There at the foot of Queen St awaited 50 beautiful young ladies, all ready to attempt to get onto the same bed at the same time.

They were all dressed in black singlets and hotpants, and were attempting to gain the Guinness World Record for the most people simultaneously on a bed. And it was an actual bed, a king size.

First they tried lying on the bed. Clearly this was not going to work but, it wasn't really the end of the world. They managed to fit 18 on before it became too painful for someone on the bottom.

Then they tried sitting on the bed. This allowed the girls to get closer together and they got 27 on the bed before no more could be squeezed in.

Lastly, they tried standing on the bed. Success! All 50 girls managed to just fit, squeezing together, and holding it there for the official 30 seconds that the folk at Guinness demanded.

At this point, I phoned my boss at 3news.co.nz and told him: “They’ve done it mate, they’ve made New Zealand proud!”
Indeed, there are more photos.

No comments: