Sunday, September 02, 2007

From Halcyon Days to Halcion Daze: Aging Kos Kid Longs for Summer of Love

Nothing worse than aging hippies reliving their acid-dropping youth. Here we have an aging Kos Kid reminiscing over the Summer of Love.

She lays it on thick, replete with guilt of actually having material possessions.

Summer of Love at 40
So here we are, my husband and I, on our way to the Summer of Love/40 celebration in Golden Gate Park. None of our seven kids or seven grandkids wanted to go.
Who can blame them?
We drove in from the Central Valley, where we currently live/work, in a $25k vehicle with built in iPod dock (god, we hate living in Red California, but we need to make more money than we spend, and it isn't easy on the Peninsula)...
At 60, she's beginning to realize she needs to earn more than she spends.

She'll go far.
We are still young Hippies at heart. It's dismaying to pass a mirror and see a person who is almost 60. We lived on communes, dammit! We're the Woodstock generation.

Truth be told, we would move back to a commune in a heartbeat, as long as it had high-speed internet. My back is a little stiff to live in a tee-pee, but a nice redwood house would be fine. I used to milk a cow, bake bread and make everything from scratch anyway. I'd have no problem doing it again. Except we still have student loans to pay off.
I paid off my student loans by the time I was 27.

She's 60.
I want us out of Iraq now. I don't give a rat's ass about the "chaos" to follow. It's all GWB's fault; he can go finish the job himself after January 2009.

We have donated thousands to Dem races all over the U.S. and we look forward to the 2008 election. I want Dems to pick up as many seats as possible, as well as the White House. It must happen and we are willing to work for it. We will host Dem house parties in the Central Valley, in our gated community with lakes and golf courses....

Anyway, I will post more after the party. Peace and Love, my brothers and sisters! The revolution will not be televised (it will be blogged).
Hey, that's original.

UPDATE: The comments are starting. Love this one.
My Twelve-Year Old is a Neo-Hippie (1+ / 0-)

Recommended by: A Mad Mad World

She insisted that I take her to the Whitney Museum in NYC for their Summer of Love retrospective. She can't wait to get back to school to circulate a petition to Impeach the Traitor Bush (we did have a cautionary discussion, but, to the barricades, kid!) And two weeks ago an old friend gave her a pair of hand-patched jeans that she had worn in the Sixties that fit her perfectly, including American flag insets to widen the bell bottoms; her garb for the first day back at school.

Too bad we didn't have the Net and DKos back then, maybe we could've moved the rock a little further uphill than we did...

Rock on!

by Uthaclena on Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 10:47:22 AM PDT

No comments: