Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Is Huckabee for taxes before he was against them?

Mike Huckabee on Fox News Sunday talking about taxes and his support of the Fair Tax
WALLACE: Let's talk about your record as governor. The conservative Club for Growth says about you — and let's put it up on the screen — "Huckabee's substantial tax hikes far surpassed his modest tax cuts, with the average tax burden increasing by a whopping 47 percent over his tenure."

Governor, you raised taxes on gasoline. You raised them on cigarettes. You even raised them on nursing home patients.

HUCKABEE: Well, we didn't raise them on nursing home patients. That was a quality assurance fee that was supported by the industry. People can go to my website, MikeHuckabee.com, get the full details of that.

The first video segment on Fox's site contains his Q&A with Chris regarding this issue.

So I did. I couldn't find anything about this question on his web site. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough. On the other hand what is he trying to hide. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the Fair Tax ever since Neal Boortz started talking about it, but knowing the way things move in Washington I don't hold out much hope that anything can be done on this issue anymore then there will be any change to the Social Security program as long as opponents continue to scare senior citizens and trot out the children to use as victims and as a shield to protect themselves from criticism. For my entire life every election cycle the specter of a failing Social Security system has been trotted out and only one president has tried to do something about and we saw what happened. The result we have another election with candidates playing the scare tactics again, but that is off the point.
Since I could find nothing on Huckabee's web site I had no choice but to go to the Club for Growth web site, the group which originally brought the issue of the governor and his taxes up.

Now I can not fact check everything presented on the Club For Growth's web site they do include the sources for their statements. I am therefore stuck in a quandary. While I endorse the Fair Tax and I am glad that a politician on the national stage is embracing it I am left with doubts based on his record. I do believe questions regarding his stance on taxes need to be asked and we must not be satisfied with allowing him to skirt the issue in his answers.

Just for the record my household is leaning towards Huckabee or Thompson. I was the Huckabee supporter because of his supporting the Fair Tax but with him skirting the questions about his tax policies while governor I am leaning towards Thompson.
Oh yeah and Fred. Get off your butt and start acting like you want it or get out!

No comments: