Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Imagine The Baggage Fees Airlines Would Charge

Here is a little video to show what our guys in Afghanistan have to carry, what we called hump, when they go outside the wire.

LANGUAGE WARNING:



Water - Check
Bullets - Check
iPod - Check

iPod???

Back in the day when I did this for a living we did not have the ballistic armor vests that they have nowadays. The only thing between me and a bullet was the buttons on my BDU's, like we used to say. I know it is a hassle to wear, but not having it is far worse.

The poncho liner that he talks about is basically a nylon blanket. It can provide some protection from the cold down to about 35° or so but it certainly doesn't replace the warmth of a sleeping bag.

I am puzzled by the 2 MRE's for a seven day mission so I can only presume that they intend to resupply them.

As far as the ammo, he ain't carrying no where near enough. He needs to stock up in that department. Going outside the wire with anything less then 500 rounds for your personal weapon ain't going to cut it in my book.

Batteries, batteries, and more batteries. Those things are heavy, but they are used to power everything from their GPS, to their radios, to their Night Vision Goggles (NVG) so they are also an necessary evil.

No comments: