Monday, July 13, 2009

Don't Try This at Home, Kids

Actually, don't try it at home or at the home of your girlfriend's mother.

We have have a candidate for the Darwin Award here.
AN experimental German cook accidentally blew off both his hands attempting to concoct a "molecular gastronomy" dish with liquid nitrogen, a newspaper report said.

The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of the dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to gastronomy.

There was an "enormous explosion'', according to the Berliner Morgenpost daily.

The man lost one hand in the explosion and the other was so badly injured it had to be amputated.

The man, who was staying at his girlfriend's mother's house, was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as life-threatening. He is on artificial respiration.

He claimed he was trying to fill a gas lighter, but his girlfriend said he was trying to empty a canister of liquid nitrogen.

No comments: