Monday, July 28, 2008

The Waiting is Over: Introducing Guy-liner and Manscara, Makeup for That Special Metrosexual


Here I was just the other day hailing gastrosexuals, but apparently the metrosexuals aren't yet going away. No, they're going to be more annoying than ever.

It's bad enough we have women farding in cars, but now we have to deal with some douchebags applying guy-liner?

Oy.

This whole guys wearing makeup thing wasn't so bad when it was limited to performers, but seriously, do we have to watch some trendoid schlubs applying -- gack! -- manscara?

WTF?
In an increasingly metrosexual world, perhaps it was just a matter of time.

But yesterday a high street store announced that it would start stocking makeup designed just for men.

'Guy-liner' and 'Manscara' to enhance the eyes of the male in your life, will appear in Superdrug this week.

Yesterday, the company's director of trading Jeff Wemyss insisted that its cosmetics - branded Taxi Man - are not just for transvestites.

He said: "These days you can be macho and wear make-up. If you look at people like Russell Brand and Robbie Williams, they both wear make-up and they are both very red-blooded men.

'Men are more obsessed with their appearance than ever before. There is no longer any pain in being seen to be vain.'

He added: 'We believe there is a real market for cosmetic products. The majority of our customers are women and we believe that these products will be bought by women for their partners, as well as by men themselves.'
I don't know where these cats are hanging out, but it sure as shit isn't anywhere I frequent. Maybe it's this 40-something, raising kids, heterosexual thing I have going on, but I look around and I don't see too many guys in North Jersey applying guy-liner.

Oof. I can't even believe I just typed it.
Yesterday Lucy Mines, the Daily Mail's beauty editor, cast doubt on whether the new men-only range of make-up would catch on with British men.

She said: 'I can imagine how some of the products, such as concealer, may be popular with men who want to hide blemishes.

'But I would have thought it unlikely that straight men would want to wear eye-liner or mascara. When I asked my male friends whether they would wear it, they all replied with a very firm "no."
Hot Air links. Thanks!

No comments: