Wednesday, July 14, 2010

'I Am Embarrassed for My Country'

Nice to see our colleges have descendants of Soviet dictators on staff who can spot a Russian spy but don't bother to say anything. They live here in America, apparently are citizens, but when they refer to "my country" they're talking about their homeland, and it's not America.
Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev's great-granddaughter was a grad-school adviser for one of the Russian spies - and saw a red flag.

Nina Khrushcheva said she didn't buy the cover story given by a part-time student calling himself Richard Murphy and claiming to be from Philadelphia.

"He had a Russian accent, and I know my Russian accents," said the media professor, who was Murphy's adviser at the New School for three years starting in 2002.

"And he clearly wasn't some optimistic American born in Philadelphia. There was always unhappiness, absolutely clear Russian-ness for anyone who knows."

But the descendant of the shoe-banging Soviet leader said she didn't confront Murphy because she didn't want to get drawn into "an elaborate Russian story."
So let's see. You clearly understand the guy to be a Russian despite his absurdly using an Irish name, yet don't want to bother alerting anyone, let alone "confronting" him.

Gee, thanks for your help.
After he was busted for spying for Moscow, she realized that Murphy the student was really Vladimir Guryev the spy.

"I am embarrassed for my country. If someone is going to be a spy, at least make an effort to appear to be an American," Khrushcheva told the Daily News.

"If I had been a bit curious, I would have found him out in five minutes. His 'coverup' was terrible. My country used to produce great spies! Vladimir Putin was a spy. What happened?"
My country used to produce patriotic citizens! What happened?

Here's some background on Khrushcheva. I see she's a senior fellow of the World Policy Institute.
The World Policy Institute, a non-partisan source of informed policy leadership for more than four decades, develops and champions innovative policies that require a progressive and global point of view.
So they're "non-partisan" but "progressive"?

Huh?

See if you can spot some of the more notable "non-partisans" on their advisory board.

No comments: