Friday, April 23, 2010

Girl to Have, Um, Unique Surgery

Well, this sure isn't something you read about every day.
THE Family Court has ordered that a 14-year-old girl can have surgery to remove two testicles. The court also approved other procedures to confirm her gender.

The parents of the girl, known in the case as "Sally", had to apply to the court for permission for the surgery after they discovered their daughter had a rare XY genotype, which meant she did not have a uterus but had two male gonads.

The court heard Sally had been an apparently healthy girl until she turned 11 and discovered two lumps, one of which was in her abdomen, and had other gender issues.

Family Court judge Justice Peter Murphy said he took into account Sally's desire to have the surgery.

"It hurts sometimes, knowing I have this condition," she told the court.

"Sometimes I blame myself, because I feel like I am not normal.

No comments: